Sunday, December 09, 2007

This morning on the way to church Hubby and I were talking about the last time the truck was waxed. It has been a while since it last happened. I caught myself saying it was before you left this last time. And we bantered back and forth with Hubby saying "I have not done it since I got home this time." And I was beginning and ending sentences with "Before you left.." or "since you came home...." It was a surreal moment for me. I wonder how many people would think Hubby and I had split up over the last 3 or 4 years if we had been in public.

For me, the way I keep track of time is before and after Hubby has left and come home from a deployment. The time he is gone is a very fuzzy blob of months to years that I don't really remember. It seems I just sleep walk through the times he is gone and barely function. I know the Kiddos and I have done many exciting, new and memorable things in those times Hubby was gone. But for the life of me, I just can't really put my finger on one thing that really stands out besides the Baby being born.

I have not always done my time keeping this way. Even while Hubby was in the Navy and going out on West Pacs and I was home with just Big Man time never seemed to be blurred in that way. I remember going shopping with Big Man, going to the parks and having laughs while Hubby was deployed. But for the life of me these last two deployments have had me wondering where time has gone and what we did all that time Hubby was gone.

Or it could be like Butterfly Wife has said many times: It could be because i have 25 Kids, or something like that. :)

1 comment:

Claire said...

I do the exact same thing, only right now it is "that was before your leg broke..." or "that was after Mike left for Iraq..." Deployments, broken bones and homecomings are all major life events. I think it makes perfect sense.